Let’s face it – winter presents many problems for homeowners. From cold temperatures that make heating systems work overtime, to snow and ice that clog driveways, gutters, and walkways, winter creates a wide range of challenges that can cost time and money. But that’s not all—winter can make it tough to maintain privacy as well. Thanks to winter’s short days and long nights, homeowners need well-lit homes during active evening hours. That’s why it’s important to have effective window treatments—blocking the view in from the outside.
Here’s a look at five popular window treatments and how they can help you maximize your privacy on winter nights.
1. Cellular Shades. Cellular shades deliver an unbeatable combination of fashion and function. They’re best-known for their light filtering and noise reduction capabilities. At the same time, cellular shades are customizable to suit your individual style. They provide a top-down, bottom-up feature, which means you can allow light in from the top of the window while maintaining your privacy.
Let’s not forget about the superior insulation provided by cellular shades. These shades have been shown to help homeowners lower their energy costs throughout the year, making them an ideal choice to add comfort to a home on winter’s cold and dark days.
2. Roller Shades. For those who are searching for effective light-blocking window treatments, roller shades may prove to be ideal. They effectively block the light from the outside during the day and present optimal privacy from the outside during the dark hours. Roller shades boast a timeless look and feel—they’re a top choice in houses of all sizes and styles.
Roller shades are simple, affordable, and convenient. They generally can be installed in just minutes and won’t require homeowners to break their budgets. Additionally, roller shades can be mounted or paired with curtains, to block any side light gaps and improve your privacy. These shades can even be motorized and controlled remotely.
3. Sheer Shades. Sheer shades instantly bring a hint of elegance to a home’s décor. Unlike other shades, sheer treatments diffuse light that enters a house and distribute it across a space. That way, sheer shades can help create a soft, elegant look in any room.
Depending on the level of translucence you choose, outsiders may be able to view shadows within your home. Keep this in mind when determining the best choice for you.
4. Roman Shades. Searching for high-end window treatments to increase your privacy at home? Roman shades feature both luxurious style and superb quality. They can be made in a variety of colors and fabrics, offering a range of privacy options.
Also, you can select Roman shades with a thermal sateen or liner to further increase your home’s privacy and energy efficiency.
5. Bamboo Shades. Bamboo shades have a look and feel all their own, with their natural, woven style. Perhaps most important, bamboo shades are strong and durable, which means these shades will continue to maintain their appearance for years to come. While their porous nature means that they do let in some steams of light, they provide a good amount of privacy from the outside. You can also install them with a blackout or privacy liner for added light and privacy control.
Just because the sun goes down, it doesn’t mean you have to call it a night. Keep your active evening hours comfortable and private with the right window treatments.
Katie Laird is the Director of Social Marketing for Blinds.com and a passionate home decorator for her family with a love of all things Mid-Century Modern and blue. Visit the Blinds.com website to learn more about the benefits of window shades and how they can help add privacy to your home.